Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:03:45 -0600

At 12:39 PM -0500 2/5/02, Annamaria Profit wrote:

The tone of this rhetoric has suddenly become seriously worker-unfriendly--"They made more money because that money was a slush fund to tide them over when times are tough", "captives", "We want to work with people who share those values" What values? Creativity does not prosper in a rigidly controlled or controlling environment. I have these visual images of the tight-lipped, bun-bound, associate lawyer/nazi type from the scene in the boardroom in "Erin Brockovich". Kelley, your argument is not only frightening, it's giving me a pretty nasty portrait of employee relations in your company. Thanks for the heads up.

At 12:14 PM 2/5/02 -0500, Kelley wrote:
I'm looking at a market, as are all of you, where, recently some people chose to contract and make considerably more money than the captives. They made more money because that money was a slush fund to tide them over when times are tough. Captives chose greater security--they hoped--over greater earnings...I see people who've been laid off from FT work as having been screwed over by a new economy that both the CEO and I reject. We want to work with people who share those values and who want to build a company that is organized according to the principles that supposedly undergird this new economy, but do so the way they were intended to work..

Isn't the "extra money" that contractors get paid in lieu of the "Benifits" that the captive employees receive? And isn't the excuse, or justification for using contractors that they actually cost less than a captive employee.

I've always wondered about that. The bottom line is never what you pay upfront for anything.

Scott