RE: upgrade from 98 to XP

Subject: RE: upgrade from 98 to XP
From: "Keith Soltys" <keith -at- soltys -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:49:41 -0500

Hi, John.

My experience with XP is somewhat more positive than Peter's. I upgrad
over the Christmas holidays, after suffering a major Windows 98 meltdo
to a buggy uninstall routine.

I did a dual-boot installation, installing XP onto my D: drive, and
reinstalling most of my software. (A bit of a pain, but I didn't want
an upgrade install because my Win 98 was unstable). Before you conside
installing XP, download and run the upgrade advisor from Microsoft. It
warn you about potential hardware and software incompatibilities. Als
there is a transition wizard included whcih will preserve your email,
Internet favourites, and other personal settings.

The upgrade process was pretty much painless - about the easiest Windo
install I've done. Getting my Internet connection established was
straigtforward. I am still struggling with my home network - the other
machines can see my machine but I can't see them - and printer sharing
a bit of figuring out.

CD burning is being a bit of an issue - I have it working but every ti
burn a CD, XP loses my CD drive and I have to log out and log in again
annoying but not a major problem.

Otherwise, the system is very stable. I think I've had maybe 3 crashes
bit over a month, compared to maybe 3 or more per week with Win 98. It
completely foolproof but most application crashes are recoverable with
rebooting, unlike Win 98. And it multitasks much better.

Most games I play seem to run fine, btw, although maybe a bit slower t
under 98.

Overall, I'm glad I'm upgraded. My system is much more stable and mult
much better. And I've been able to set up accounts for the kids so the
use my machine without getting into my stuff.

Best
Keith

--
Keith Soltys