Re: Dreamweaver training question

Subject: Re: Dreamweaver training question
From: Michele Marques <msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 07:19:04 -0500

Beth Kane asks:

> Can anyone recommend a good source of training for Dreamweaver?
[...]
> I figure I can learn a lot about raw HTML in the class by using
> Dreamweaver's split screen and watching the code. (I need to learn all > about HTML, but my company uses Dreamweaver too, so I was thinking I
> could use such a course to learn both simultaneously.) Any thoughts?

I learned Dreamweaver by using the product and reading the manual and/or on-screen help. But I also learned about creating web pages back when you had to learn raw HTML.

Which brings me to my next point.... at least to begin with you don't have to learn a lot about raw HTML. If you have Dreamweaver 4 at work, and you have a situation where you have to do something with the raw code (and have a question about the code), you can consult the O'Reilly reference on HTML that comes with the program.

If you are going to be doing any web design (and not just working with templates/layouts created by others), then you would be better served by learning about web design than raw HTML.

Finally, if you are still planning to learn raw HTML while taking a Dreamweaver course, I should advise that I don't think that will happen unless the class also covers raw HTML. I teach an Introduction to Dreamweaver course. For peple who are complete novices to creating web pages, they are too busy learning to use Dreamweaver in Design Mode to also learn HTML - except when I cover a brief segment on HTML code. For people who have been creating web pages in other programs (who are not the primary audience for that course), they usually find the pace a bit slow at the start and have time to play around - but in my experience, they usually try out various features in the GUI interface.

- Michele
msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com
http://members.rogers.com/msmarques