Re: Upgrade from 98 to XP (and "network slang")

Subject: Re: Upgrade from 98 to XP (and "network slang")
From: Decker F Wong-Godfrey <dfgodfrey -at- milmanco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:40:20 -0800

I'm not too sure exactly why you would need two NICs to set up WinXP, but I do know you probably mean 127.0.0.1 as IP slang for "local server."

Don't mean to nitpick, but setting up a network using bum information can be more than just frustrating, it can put other people's data at risk.

It sounds like the original poster's problem could be related to the rules that your router is implementing. Win2k and XP use a different port to communicate with each other than the old NetBT (NetBIOS over TCP/IP) clients did. If I remember right that's port 443, but you'll probably want to double check that.

It's probably associated with your local XP firewall ruleset it's probably not allowing you to talk with anyone but your router.

So, if you either allow port 443 data across your XP firewalls to the other computer on your local network, or allow your router to pass port 443 data (which is probably not a very good idea), your XP boxes should start seeing each other.

A little OT, but I hope it helps.

Decker Wong-Godfrey
Milmanco Corporation
--Excellence in Technical Communication Since 1945--
(206)575-3808

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr