Subject: Terminology
From: Richard Pineger <r -dot- pineger -at- kudos-idd -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:38:01 +0100

I have written an internal Procedure template for a tech writing house using
the word DEPRECATED to describe a style that is no longer to be used.

Some of the authors here did not know the word and feel that the word is not
really common usage.

I feel that the word is in common usage in the world of techwhirlers and
they should know it. It is used for example by the W3C when defining HTML.
Now all these authors know HTML so they should know DEPRECATED. Otherwise,
when they look in an HTML reference they might get confused.

Am I right to include the word DEPRECATED and attempt to educate them as
well as provide a template for another purpose or should I have searched for
a more common phrase like "not used anymore".

I feel that I would want to use DEPRECATED in other areas, for instance,
internal glossaries, so I really want them to know this word.

I would value your opinions..

Did you know you can get RoboHelp certified?
To learn how, visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr. Be sure to also check out
our special pricing offers and promotions for RoboHelp 2002.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.


Previous by Author: Re: Dangling Modifiers
Next by Author: RE: Terminology: the solution
Previous by Thread: Re: Pharmaceutical Industry Buzz Words
Next by Thread: RE: Terminology

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads