Terminology

Subject: Terminology
From: Richard Pineger <r -dot- pineger -at- kudos-idd -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:38:01 +0100

I have written an internal Procedure template for a tech writing house using
the word DEPRECATED to describe a style that is no longer to be used.

Some of the authors here did not know the word and feel that the word is not
really common usage.

I feel that the word is in common usage in the world of techwhirlers and
they should know it. It is used for example by the W3C when defining HTML.
Now all these authors know HTML so they should know DEPRECATED. Otherwise,
when they look in an HTML reference they might get confused.

Am I right to include the word DEPRECATED and attempt to educate them as
well as provide a template for another purpose or should I have searched for
a more common phrase like "not used anymore".

I feel that I would want to use DEPRECATED in other areas, for instance,
internal glossaries, so I really want them to know this word.

I would value your opinions..