Re: Dangling Modifiers

Subject: Re: Dangling Modifiers
From: Richard McLean <richard -at- designeffect -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:28:12 +1100

Hi All,

This is my first post to the list, so please give me a chance to
adjust my brain to the level of discussion here before ignoring
me all together. :-)

At 9:05 AM -0500 24/2/02, Firetail Documentation wrote:

I'm not prepared to be a purist and roll the language back to
pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon times just to squeeze out all usages
people don't like because they require some thought. I feel free
to end a sentence in a preposition when I'm just talking among
people. I don't so much when I'm communicating formally, because
people expect us to aim higher when we do. You may see it as
artificial; I see it as the reason I'm employed.

Doesn't the intended audience of the document in question come
into play here?

If the writing is structured in a way that it requires extra thought
from the reader to reconstruct a sentence from the "proper" usage
into a form that they can readily digest, can it not be better to
sometimes stray from rigid grammatical rules for the sake of
readability?

cheers,
Richard