Software License?

Subject: Software License?
From: Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:15:45 -0500

Boy! I've only subscribed to this list for about 2 months and already I
feel like I could write a book about what I've learned! So, I need to tap
your resources once again. When it comes to software, you seem to be the
experts.

We sell different versions of software to operate our analyzers. Some
versions do more and so cost more. In the past, we didn't have need for a
software license or a "do not copy" caveat because the software only worked
on the analyzer that you purchased and copying it didn't give you any added
value. However, now we are developing software that can work on older
analyzers as well as the newer ones with additional and enhanced
capabilities. We need some way of preventing customers from copying and
distributing the new software without paying for it. We distribute the
software on a two floppy disks and the customer transfers it to his hard
drive. We will be using a CD version in the future, but right now it's
still floppies.

We have no licensing agreements and we have no software terms and
conditions though we do have warranty information and T&C for the
hardware.. What do we need?? We really don't want to be the software
police but we want to discourage copying the software. Right now, we have
nothing in our documentation that says "do not copy or distribute this
software." Without getting legal - what can we do? Any suggestions on
where to look for information?

TIA for you help!!

Liz Goodwin
Technical Writer, Dycor
AMETEK, P&AI
liz -dot- goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
(Albert Schweitzer)