Re: Fw: Suggestions for "Interesting" Techwriting Book?

Subject: Re: Fw: Suggestions for "Interesting" Techwriting Book?
From: Win Day <winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:47:52 -0500

At 05:59 PM 06/02/2002 -0800, Ivan Weiss wrote:

<kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com> wrote in message
news:<m16YWOV-000BN4C -at- mail -dot- GTS -dot- NET>...

> Who takes a tech writing class in high school? On one hand it sounds
> like a GREAT idea - but I'm surprised to find anybody that age is
> interested....

Well, you can imagine my utter slack-jaw astonishment when just today, I
went into Seattle to volunteer in my daughter's 4th-grade class, and
found they were learning to write procedures. More yet, a lot of the
kids got the idea. Of course, my kid (the scamp) hasn't done hers yet.

And if anyone cares to know, yes, this is a public school.

Both of my sons have been taught technical writing as part of their English classes for years. It certainly helped when they were writing up lab reports for various science classes. I think it also helped them understand written math problems more easily -- if you're used to writing the stuff, you stand a better chance of being able to figure out someone else's.

About 9 years ago now, the province of Manitoba was developing a tech writing program that was intended to start in elementary school. I've lost touch with the people who were involved in that initiative, so I don't know if it ever came to pass.

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.wordsplus.net
mailto:winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr