RE: Suggestions for "Interesting" Techwriting Book?

Subject: RE: Suggestions for "Interesting" Techwriting Book?
From: "Robin Mc2" <robinmc2 -at- mcfamily -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:14:21 -0600

I have been overwhelmed with personal email ... thank you all for your
suggestions! The ideas about giving them interesting projects are great and
I plan to use them. I have no idea which book I will use ... if I end up
using one at all.
~~~
Who takes a tech writing class in high school? On one hand it sounds like a
GREAT idea - but I'm surprised to find anybody that age is interested....
~~~
You haven't met many homeschoolers, have you? ;-)

Many homeschooled students, by the age of 16, are already receiving college
credit for courses. The class I'm teaching is, for the students, an overview
of what technical writing is/is not, and for their parents, a less expensive
alternative to a college course.

I anticipate many of you will be reviewing resumes from homeschooled
students very soon. I'm sure you've seen that they are now entering college.
I would be interested, when and if you ever hire or work with someone who
has been homeschooled, you notice if they behave any differently from
students who were in public or private school.

>From my experience, homeschooled kids perceive life a little differently
than the usual high school student. They are very flexible and creative.
Almost every homeshooling parent hears the "s" word (socialization) argument
and cringes (yet how many of us work around people who are only in our age
bracket?). Homeschooling parents prefer to create a way of life that
promotes learning, that either replaces or augments classroom learning that
only takes place in a particular building at a particular time of day.
Consequently, many homeschooled students are usually very self-motivated to
become entrepreneurs or successful professionals. Of course, most of this
information is anecdotal and has been correlated to homeschooling by its
advocates. :)
~~~
Well, you can imagine my utter slack-jaw astonishment when just today, I
went into Seattle to volunteer in my daughter's 4th-grade class, and found
they were learning to write procedures. More yet, a lot of the kids got the
idea. Of course, my kid (the scamp) hasn't done hers yet.

And if anyone cares to know, yes, this is a public school.
~~~
That's great to hear! Although I homeschool my youngest son, my two
teenagers are enrolled in public school because the band and music programs
here in Texas are outstanding. Unfortunately, Texas homeschool laws don't
allow concurrent enrollment, which would allow students to attend
extracurricular activities while being homeschooled (we still pay taxes but
it's all or none here). I'm very involved in education reform, homeschool or
otherwise. If there's one thing I'd love to do, it's get rid of
outcome-based education in the public schools. When we lived in the Seattle
area three years ago, my daughter spent a semester in science watching a
flower grow. That's all the class did. Which is why we removed her quickly
and put her in private school. But that's a whole 'nother topic for a
different list. :)

Again, thank you for all your help!

Robin Mc2