re: Suggestions for "Interesting" Techwriting Book?

Subject: re: Suggestions for "Interesting" Techwriting Book?
From: "Carol Chung" <cychung55 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:32:42 -0800

Hi, in my experience as a tech writer for small-mid size companies, I've found that asking the right questions was as important as good writing.

For a classroom exercise, I'd suggest creating a sample writing project (simulating the type of information and holes that you might expect from an engineer) and getting group feedback on what types of resources/questions each writer might follow up with.

For your book, I'd also suggest including samples of model tech writing (in terms of succint and clear style) and samples of not so hot writing.

-hope that helps,
Carol Chung

Robin wrote:

Howdy from a longtime lurker. :)

I recently left the technical writing field to homeschool my 7 yo son.
Thanks to my participation in several homeschool cooperatives, I plan to
teach a technical writing class to some high school students. Considering
the audience, I really don't want a dry, boring textbook. I am looking for a
book that will reach the minds of teens, teach them how to write, yet more
importantly, give them a conceptual view of the technical writing field,
including some anecdotal highlights from a writer's perspective. I'm
thinking along the lines of "Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better
English in Plain English" by Patricia T. O'Conner, which is a great little
book.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of book, perhaps an old
favorite? I am reviewing Technical Writing for Dummies and The Complete
Idiot's Guide to Technical Writing, but thought there might be something
else. I need something that is fairly easy to obtain at a local bookstore.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

---
"If I fail, at least I will have failed my way, instead of failing someone else's way." -Jody Foster