RE: deer in the headlights (corporate anorexia)

Subject: RE: deer in the headlights (corporate anorexia)
From: CarolAnne -dot- Wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:15:41 -0600

Steven Brown wrote:
<<When was the last time you heard a CEO proudly proclaim, "Well everyone,
despite the massive layoffs going on around us, your jobs are perfectly
safe because we have exactly the staff that we need to get our work
done.">>

I work for an insurance company that is very conservative in many areas,
including hiring. While the CEO hasn't come out and proclaimed our jobs
safe, we haven't had a layoff yet in our 100+ years of existence. We're
generally institute a hiring freeze (like we are right now) and let
attrition change staffing levels. At least while all the insurance
companies around us are laying off people left and right, we're staying the
course for now. It provides a modicum of comfort.

Of course, up until 2 or 3 years ago, 3M (a large Minnesota employer) never
laid off anyone in their history either. Things can change. You've got to
be prepared.

Carol Anne

Carol Anne T. Wall, FLMI
Technical Writer - Individual Business Technology, Minnesota Life Insurance
Company
carolanne -dot- wall -at- minnesotamutual -dot- com