Re: (Difference between) British and American technical writing style?

Subject: Re: (Difference between) British and American technical writing style?
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:10:06 +0100

In software techical writing, there's virtually no difference between UK and US usage, apart from minor spelling issues.

Microsoft does not do much English localisation. In Windows and IE, 'colour', 'favourites' and 'dialogue' are all misspelt. Most UK users would not be offended by a software UI in US English.

Your project is a plugin for a DTP software. Is the DTP software localised to the UK? Does it make sense for a plugin to be in a different "language" than the main app?

A few users might appreciate the sign of respect for local custom. But I'm not sure there's much of a business case for it.

If your client insists, it's probably enough if you avoid colloqualisms and use a UK spell checker. Or send it to a UK techwriting house for a final edit.

John Cornellier