Re: Prize Interview Answers

Subject: Re: Prize Interview Answers
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:08:25 -0800 (PST)

John Posada wrote:

> The answer to the first question was somewhat snooty. However, I
> don't know that I disagree with the second answer in most cases.
>
> > that she disagrees with. Her response was, "I'd probably
> > remind the editor that I have a PhD in English."
> >
> > engineers, she'd probably go with the information from the
> > engineer at the highest hierarchy level in the company.
>
> There are a number of times when I need to resolve conflicting
> information between two people...usualy a Senior Project Manager and
> a less senior one.
>
> I JUST came from a situation where the junior one was pleadiong her
> case and I told her that I would discuss it with the Senior PM and
> see what he thought. If I cannot get them to come to a consensus,
> guess who's answer I'll usualy go with.

But I bet your answer to the question would have been: "I'd attempt
to resolve the problem by talking to both engineers and trying to
get them to resolve it between themselves. But if neither would
change their minds, I'd probably go with the more senior of the
engineers." The impression I got from the writer who told me the
story was that the candidate's immediate resolution would be
determined by the relative statuses of the engineers.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html