AuthorIt?

Subject: AuthorIt?
From: Jim Hager <jhager -at- techrx -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:29:31 -0500

Hi,

Has anybody out there in tech writing land used AuthorIt?

Even after reading some info on the www.author-it.com Web site, I admit that
I don't understand exactly what it is and what it can do for tech writers.

Here's what I think I know:
- It looks like it uses a database of document files and lets you construct
documents from any of the doc files and graphics files in the database.

- It looks like it'll build Word docs for print or pdf and the usual flavors
of online help. (A true single source tech writing tool?)

- It looks like the software has several optional modules that you buy
according to your needs and it looks expensive. Sort of reminds of SAP in
this respect. (Anybody know how expensive it is?) (My exposure to SAP was
limited to a few weeks of trying to write some install procedures for a
customized pilot install that was going to be used by many customers.)

- It looks like it has a steep learning curve with an endless list of
possibilities for formatting and styles.

- I have a feeling that it's not really aimed at the typical software
development company and its tech writers.

If anybody has first hand experience with AuthorIt, including cost, who or
what is this software really aimed at, any real uses in the real world of
tech writing, any pluses and minuses for tech writers, I'd really appreciate
any information you can toss my way

Thanks.

Jim Hager
jhager -at- techrx -dot- com