Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:11:16 -0500

At 11:15 AM 2/8/02 -0800, Bruce Byfield wrote:

One thing you don't seem to be taking into account is that there is a world of difference between a discussion on a mailing list and behavior during a job interview. Since you were curious, people were frank with you about their motivations. However, a job interview requires more diplomacy and discretion, and I suspect that anyone who has been working for more than a few years knows that.

Oh, I took it into account. I know there's a difference. The problem is, in the teacher's lounge it gets a little insular if you're only ever preching to the choir or the sinner.

I used to participate more heavily on a list for profs and it basically went like this: "Gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe. Can ya believe what this student wrote in her essay?! Boy, our culture is really going down the tubes. They don't know that the civil war was fought in the 19th c! I TELL them on the syllabus that they will do this and that, but they still complain! arrrggghh. Gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe."

Then, someone would jump in with a more 'humane' approach to teaching (or a gradstud closer to the student role), and WHAM! all hell broke loose when someone dared point out that maybe, just maybe, it would help to look at it from the students' point of view in order to improve our teaching, take responsibility for our mistakes.

It's not the best analogy, only offered to explain that I knew what I was getting in to.

I still found it curious that, even when I clearly signalled that I was asking the Serious Q from the perspective of interviewer, the answers weren't directed to that POV?

Again, I'm not blaming you. Given what many perceived as hostility, it was an opportunity to give me a good talking to... :)

kelley

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr