Re: What to Charge Family for Project?

Subject: Re: What to Charge Family for Project?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:16:08 -0500

Jenise,

I see no reason to offer a family discount in this situation, because it is not a personal request. His sister-in-law offered to throw some business in his direction, but this was for her employer, not for a business she was running on the side.

The situation gets more complicated when it's your relative's start-up (pie in the sky?) business. When I ran into that situation a little while ago, I swapped my services for an appropriate-size piece of the business. If the business never gets off the ground, I don't get paid; if it succeeds, I do well. That was a risk I was willing to take, because I have a secure job and a good salary. If I were a freelance or a contractor, I might have viewed the request differently.

Dick

Cook, Jenise wrote:

Hi, everyone: It's been awhile since I've posted to the list due to urgent
projects. However, an acquaintence of mine in another state ran a question
by me that I couldn't answer for him. (Not because I lacked the ability, but
because I lack the personal experience from which to draw wisdom.)