What to Charge Family for Project?

Subject: What to Charge Family for Project?
From: "Cook, Jenise" <jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:34:26 -0800

Hi, everyone: It's been awhile since I've posted to the list due to urgent
projects. However, an acquaintence of mine in another state ran a question
by me that I couldn't answer for him. (Not because I lacked the ability, but
because I lack the personal experience from which to draw wisdom.)

He's a corporate trainer (full-time wage slave). He creates documentation in
addition to his classroom duties. His brother's wife (a manager at another
company) asked him if he'd be willing to document her team's desk procedures
in the evenings and on weekends, and deliver the training to about a dozen
new hires for a newly-established graveyeard shit. She said she has provided
for the project in her departmental budget.

Because he's currently a very busy wage slave, he referred her to a friend
who is a training consultant. But, the question has been bugging him. How
much would he have charged his sister-in-law? Would he have given her (and
her company) a price break because she's family? He didn't ask her how much
she had budgeted for contract work because he knew he didn't have time to
take on the job.

I told him about this list, and he asked me to ask you all (wage slaves and
consultants alike) what you would do for a family member? Would you charge
your regular hourly contract wage? Would you provide a discount? What if the
proposed budgeted dollars would not match the hourly wage you'd normally
charge a regular client?

Thanks,

Jenise Cook-Crabbe
Sr. Technical Writer
Pacific Life Insurance Co.
jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com
Disclaimer: Questions and comments are not my employer's.