Re: salvaging damaged business relationships

Subject: Re: salvaging damaged business relationships
From: "Edwin Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:27:23 -0500

Your idea of a brief email to new manager is good. Keep it simple. What do you have to offer? Suggest a brief meeting to show samples.

Avoid the issue of the previous manager. He is off to another department, for obvious reasons.

""Sue Kirk"" <skirk -at- iprimus -dot- com -dot- au> wrote in message news:PIEMKEOCMBDMLPBEDLDNCEHECFAA -dot- skirk -at- iprimus -dot- com -dot- au -dot- -dot- -dot- Hi Everyone

Ok I finished my first writing project and was really happy with the
product. But I had a lot of trouble with the manager, he breached the
contract twice each time with the due payment and the last payment I really
didnt think I was going to get. (a short version of how bad the whole
project really was) In the end I went to his superior and I collected my
cheque the next day.

I notice there was some discussion on the list, differing opinions on how to
approach a situation when it looks like you are not going to get paid. I
noticed a lot of people were reluctant to assert their rights legally and I
think this is wrong. I understand that people are scared to be blacklisted
and I can understand that this probably does happen, but I have to wonder
how a Company that is obviously not operating ethically can have such
credibility? Sometimes I think we need Unions again!! (power its always

Anyway back to the issue. When I spoke to this other manager he was very
professional and he certainly knew his stuff as far as management. He said
for my information the guy I had been working with was taking over another
Department and he gave me the name of the woman who was taking over from
him. (aaahhh a woman....sorry guys lol)

What I need to know is what is the best way for me to approach her, bearing
in mind that she is new to the Company and hasn't had a chance to see how
this guy operates and in fact might never see. Theres a good chance hes
said we had a lot of trouble with this writer bla bla bla. How do I salvage
this relationship. The manager was adamant that he would be happy for me to
continue working with the Company, but I dont know if he was just using that
as a way to rehabilitate his image.

I was thinking that I would perhaps send her a brief email ask her about my
work and try to organise a meeting? My biggest weakness is marketing/
selling myself so any help would be appreciated.

Susan Kirk

Information Design & Development

end of susan's message

Edwin A. Wurster
17 Hollybrook Way | Voorhees, NJ 08043
Consulting, Programming and Maintenance
for PC & Mac Systems/Network
Training, Technical Writing and Web Design for Small Business