Re: No new browser windows... ever??

Subject: Re: No new browser windows... ever??
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:28:30 -0800

Tom Murrell came up with the best reason (for me) to *not* open new browser windows. I had completely forgotten about that item on the WAI list. As one of the goals for my websites is to meet accessibility standards as much as I can, I now realise that my habit of opening a new browser window for links to other sites (not for links within my own site) contradicts one of my major goals, so I will stop doing that. At least it's easy to delete all the target="_blank" attributes from a website.

Thanks, Tom!

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Avalook at Australia Travel site http://www.avalook.com.au/

Tom Murrell wrote (on TECHWR-L):

Jenise Cook wants to know if there's a good reason why you shouldn't open new
browser windows (sort of).

Check point 10.1 of the W3C's Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) states:
"Until user agents allow users to turn off spawned windows, do not cause
pop-ups or other windows to appear and do not change the current window without
informing the user."

Of course, a fair question is why. The explanation offered by WAI is available
at this link:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/wai-pageauth.html#tech-avoid-pop-ups.

Of course, you can choose to use pop-ups or not, but if you're trying to follow
some standards, and if perhaps your company wants to make its content as
generally accessible as possible, this guideline might help understand why.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr