Re: parenthood and tech writing

Subject: Re: parenthood and tech writing
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:22:43 -0500

At 1:35 PM -0500 2/15/02, Lisa wrote:

Am I deluding myself
thinking I can dabble in tech writing on a part-time,
odd-job basis (re: 10-15 hours/week from home)?

From what my working-parent friends tell me, most companies are reluctant to hire a part-timer for nine 20-hour weeks (for example) when they can hire a full-timer from a contract agency and get the same work done in three 60-hour weeks. Since freelance work comes in true feast-or-famine cycles, 'part-time' in the TW world can usually be translated to 'chunks of 40- to 60-hour weeks separated by long periods with no income'. That sort of schedule Does Not Work for most parents with small children.

I do know two stay-at-home parents who are generally able to limit their work weeks to 24-30 hours. They each had put in several years of full-time work with their employers, had spouses who had jobs with excellent benefits, and were able to arrange long-term contracts with their former employers to continue doing their old jobs with part-time schedules. One of them has been able to transition this to reasonable part-time freelance career. It didn't work out that well for the other, and he is now forced to choose between returning to his old job full-time or quitting. Bummer.

Kat Nagel,
sorry to be a voice of doom