RE: Grim numbers, just grim

Subject: RE: Grim numbers, just grim
From: Emily Berk <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:04:59 -0800

My point is that they are basically asking for experienced programmer/writers and they are offering them $35 an hour, with no benefits. I think this must be an agency, and I suspect they are taking a 50% cut, but still $70 an hour for technical, technical programming?

Living in the Bay Area, where the price of a tiny 3 bedroom house is about $500,000 -- I just wonder how people are going to keep roofs over their heads.

From what I can tell, the cost of living in nice places like Portland is about half of what it is where I am, but STILL $35 an hour for experienced technical people seems -- scarily low.

At 11:45 PM 2/16/02 -0800, Maggie Secara wrote:
>LOL, are you asking this because $35+/hour for techwriting seems high to you?
>Here in L.A., I'm getting almost that now just for doing (editing and
>robohelping, not writing <dammit>) banking policies and procedures--nothing even remotely technical, except for the specific jargon of mortgage banking. So actually, for what they're requiring, $35/hour seems a bit low to me. Of
>course, rates have been in decline.

>Living in Los Angeles is that expensive, yes. Can't speak for Seattle, but I
>wouldn't be surprised.

~ Emily Berk ~
On the web at *** Armadillo Associates, Inc. ~
~ Project management, developer relations and ~
extremely-technical technical documentation that developers find useful.~

See and check it out.