RE: Grim numbers, just grim--Austin perspective

Subject: RE: Grim numbers, just grim--Austin perspective
From: "Rob Writer" <piercedroo -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:21:42 -0600

Well this job ad didn't seem that grim to me.

Let's see, $35/h extropilated out over a year equals about $70K. Sorry, but not a "miserly" or underpaid salary by any definition. Here in Austin, which has one of the highest cost of living factors in the entire state, $70K is well above average, even for technical writers (about $54K average).

We live on a wooded 3/4 acre lot, 2200 sq ft home, that we purchased last year for $228K. The average new home cost in Austin is about $127K. The year round perfect weather is free!

The market is still lean for new tech writer gigs here (at least this is my preception after a quick perusal of the local STC job board, monster, dice, and hotjobs. However, as many others have already noted, I don't think these job boards are an accurate indication of the market, since fewer companies are using these boards to post new jobs.

Honestly, I think we are (collectively) well compensated for what we do. Even at $54K a year, and *very* well compensated at the upper 5% pay range of about $78-90K. If my boss is reading this...please note that I am not complaining.

Everything is relative, isn't it?