Cold Calling (was Re: How is the job market in your area?)

Subject: Cold Calling (was Re: How is the job market in your area?)
From: "Rob Writer" <piercedroo -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:07:33 -0600

Don't forget fear. Part of the problem is the fear of cold calling. If you haven't done it, and you don't have a huge ego which is impervious to rejection, cold calling is hard.

After my second year of college back in 1987, I took a job, thinly veiled as an internship...but entailed selling books door-to-door. "No ma'am, these aren't encyclopedias, they are?? Ah, even all these years later the sales pitch slides right off my tongue. I?ll bet more than one of you on this list knows the Tennessee publishing company I?m talking about.

But, I learned two things that summer. First, I hated sales. Any thought of becoming a salesman was absolutely squashed that summer. Second, I learned that cold calling works. Wait?let me qualify that statement: Cold Calling works if you do a little footwork/research first. While the people on the other side of that door may not have heard of you, that?s no excuse for you not to know as much about them as possible. Do your homework before hand, and let your due-diligence be reflected in your on-the-nose cover letter.

But perhaps the most important lesson I learned that summer was overcoming the fears associated with cold calling. Like I said before?it can work. Much to my amazement, people (and a lot of them) actually bought books from me.