SNMP Agents and MIB files

Subject: SNMP Agents and MIB files
From: "Rob Writer" <piercedroo -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:49:33 -0600

Do any of you have any experience documenting MIB files for SNMP agents? Is there an automation tool, such as JavaDoc, to output documentation from source code from MIB files?

One component of our company?s product is a Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) agent that provides customers a single connection to an SNMP manager station, which monitors the resources used by their system. Part of the SNMP agent is the Management Information Base (MIB). MIBs are a collection of definitions that define the properties of the managed object within the device to be managed.

I am writing an integration guide, and some of the most important information for integration engineers is found in the MIB.

Any suggestions on extracting info from a MIB into a hardcopy doc? Any suggestions on delivery format for MIB reference docs? Any suggestions, anecdotes, or cautions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob