Re: "soft skills" training for developers and other techies

Subject: Re: "soft skills" training for developers and other techies
From: "Daniel Kamman, Information Consultant" <danielkamman -at- information-consultant -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:52:13 -0500

Phoebe Minias asked about"soft skills" (e.g., communication, team-building)
training / books that have a good reputation among software developers and
other technical professionals?
---------------------------------

I like, own, have read, have heard good things about,
and have used three "soft skills" books.
---------------------------------

The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook by Senge and others
(I like this a lot better than the earlier The Fifth Discipline;
Amazon.com has sample pages and a used copy for $9.95)
---------------------------------

Two books by Gerald M. Weinberg, who says on his Web site
"For more than 45 years, Jerry Weinberg has worked on transforming software
organizations, particularly emphasizing the interaction of technical and
human issues. "

Handbook of walkthroughs, inspections, and technical reviews : evaluating
programs, projects, and products, 3rd edition
by Daniel P. Freedman and Gerald M. Weinberg
The Handbook of walkthroughs . . . is out of print (says Amazon),
but Amazon.com has a used copy for $4.95 (a bargain).

Becoming a Technical Leader by Weinberg.

I think Weinberg is great. I also have his Secrets of Consulting
(a newer version, More Secrets of Consulting, came out in 2001)
and Are Your Lights On?

Weinberg's Web site is http://www.geraldmweinberg.com/

Daniel Kamman, Information Consultant and Copyeditor
Cambridge, MA, USA
www.information-consultant.com
Information problems found and fixed.