RE: CONSULTANT / CONTRACTOR QUIZZ

Subject: RE: CONSULTANT / CONTRACTOR QUIZZ
From: "Rob Partridge" <rob -at- holly -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:51:27 +1100

1) Do you have a Web site to promote your tech writing
consulting/contracting (or other) business?

Yes. http://robert.partridge.com/
Working on another one for my company that will be company only. Will
probably still keep my resume on my site and link to my site from the
company one.

2) Do you have personal info (hobbies, family, etc) on your Web site?
If not, is it because you think it is unprofessional to do so?

Yes, as my site serves several purposes. If I send people a link to my
resume, I usually send the full path:
http://robert.partridge.com/resume.htm.
No, I don't think there is a conflict. They are separate menu items, and I
feel that I've nothing to hide.

3) Do you think it is unprofessional to offer advice to other tech
writers on your site?

No. If the info is useful, good luck to you. I've had several people get to
my site and ask about JavaScript. If I'm not busy, I'm happy to help.

4) Do you think it unprofessional/inadvisable to use frames?
Javascript? Java? ActiveX?

Not unprofessional, but I don't like frames. Ruins navigation, and Google
will bypass them anyway. I use JS and some ActiveX, but I don't think my
site is impossible to use without them (I haven't tried though!). I confess
to making it Explorer and Netscape friendly - and probably only recent
versions. Hang the rest of you! Use tools as appropriate and where
necessary. Often, workarounds are cludgy and more painful for the user.

5) Do you think it unprofessional to have a few cutesy, animated images
on your site to lighten things up?

Yes. Very naff. I do, however, have an Australian Big Things compendium
which has pulled in interest from the Telegraph and Reuters! OK, I'm a sad
nerd. No animated graphics! Isn't that as bad as having <blink> tags?

6) Do you mention how much you charge for your services on your site?
Give details about your fees? Disclaimers, legal or copyright notices?

No as it varies depending on circumstances. I include a copyright statement.
There's no need to include a privacy statement as I don't keep user data and
I don't earn more than $500k.

7) Do you have samples from your portfolio on your site?

Yes. Find it useful not to have to tote some stuff around. Some samples are
on the site but not linked, so that I can provide a direct link to more
recent stuff without having to email big docs.

8) Do you list references on your site? Quotes from the references?

No. Available on request. Refs to sources, yes.

9) How often do you update your site? Do you NEED to frequently change
things on your site to keep it fresh?

Often, as it serves to keep my family informed about my life over here (they
are in the UK), and yes, sites that don't get updated are not useful to
anyone. It can be hard work maintaining a site. At the very least, your CV
should always be up to date. Some parts are quite static, pending new
developments. I like to redesign my site each year or so to keep my hand in
with latest web developments. Some sections of my site are references for me
to use when working (html/javascript/writing links etc).

10) Do you provide a lot of linking and menuing, or do you keep it short
and sweet with most Web actions/behaviours available from the first
page?

You judge. As a user I like the menu to stay with me, so I can get around
more easily. The more ways you provide to get around the better. Users will
always defy your best intentions.

11) What did I use to build it?

Textpad for the HTML and Photoshop for the graphics.

cheers,

Rob