CONSULTANT / CONTRACTOR QUIZZ

Subject: CONSULTANT / CONTRACTOR QUIZZ
From: "Thomas Eagles" <tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 00:45:03 -0500

I've been debating with a friend of mine about whether it is a good idea
to have personal info and tech writing-related resources on a Web site
meant to advertise and promote your tech writing consultant/contractor
business.

I've been told by two clients who did hire me that they liked reading
the personal page, and I've always thought it a good idea to provide at
least a minimal number of related links on a tech writer's Web site.
Now, I'd like to know what others are doing or would recommend. Perhaps
by Thursday, I'll tally the results and post them to the list if enough
people respond.

Without further ado, here are the questions:

1) Do you have a Web site to promote your tech writing
consulting/contracting (or other) business?

2) Do you have personal info (hobbies, family, etc) on your Web site?
If not, is it because you think it is unprofessional to do so?

3) Do you think it is unprofessional to offer advice to other tech
writers on your site?

4) Do you think it unprofessional/inadvisable to use frames?
Javascript? Java? ActiveX?

5) Do you think it unprofessional to have a few cutesy, animated images
on your site to lighten things up?

6) Do you mention how much you charge for your services on your site?
Give details about your fees? Disclaimers, legal or copyright notices?

7) Do you have samples from your portfolio on your site?

8) Do you list references on your site? Quotes from the references?

9) How often do you update your site? Do you NEED to frequently change
things on your site to keep it fresh?

10) Do you provide a lot of linking and menuing, or do you keep it short
and sweet with most Web actions/behaviours available from the first
page?

TTFN.

Tom.

Tom Eagles Documentation & Instruction
111 Copley Street Pickering, Ontario L1V6V6 CANADA
Bus / Mobile: 905.626.8466 Home: 905.509.1838
eaglescribe -at- hotmail -dot- com http://www.tekwriter.com
Get forgiveness now -- tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty.