RE: Grim numbers, just grim

Subject: RE: Grim numbers, just grim
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:08:44 -0800

For my company in So Cal, the worst was April 2001. We had our 3 largest
clients either go under (and leave me holding 10 days of their unpaid
invoices) or cancel all outsourcing. We limped along until June, when we ran
the projections and I was considering shutting down the business for a while
and getting a real job. I was offered an very cool real job but they decided
at the last minute not to fund the position.

Mid August started looking up and then came Sept 11th. Projects cancelled,
no one returned phone calls - we as a country went into collective shock and
froze. The phone literally did not ring again until Nov 15th.

By Dec 15th, we had 3 projects lined up for the first of the year and we are
busier now than we have been for 6 months. It is a good thing. We are very
happy and see that things are generally looking up all over the country.
Slowly but there is improvement, especially after last quarter. I consider
2001 to have had 9 months and 3 quarters and so does everyone I know who
owns a small business of any sort. Even my hairdresser with a beauty supply
store has had a terrible 5 months. Friends who own restaurants, everyone had
a terrible last quarter.

That said, rates suck and they are going to continue to suck until people
get real jobs again. I am getting asked about 3 month projects for $7500,
covering a GIS, database and chemical analysis products. Online help and a
complete user manual with a tutorial. And they are shocked that we can't do
it, even with an intern. That works out to about $15 an hour and who knows
an intern that can handle all that and know about these things? Add my
company margin and we are paying slightly less than my sister makes at a Git
and Go in Tulsa on the well paying! graveyard shift. (If you run into her,
she is really tall with dark hair, dark eyes and olive skin. Looks nothing
like me except we are both really tall. Be nice to her, she is cool.)

I certainly don't blame people who are suddenly out of work for taking ANY
rate because it is some money coming in. But it is blowing rates for the
entire market. Until the salaried people get salaried jobs again, rates are
going to be low.

God, I am wordy today...

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin