RE: Grim numbers, just grim

Subject: RE: Grim numbers, just grim
From: "Cekis, Margaret" <Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:48:44 -0500

Elna Tymes reported current big-city vacancy rates:

> Dallas 30%
> Los Angeles 17%
> San Francisco 16%
> Atlanta 16%
> Miami 14%
> Seattle 13%
> Chicago 13%
> Boston 12%
> Denver 12%
> Portland 11%
> Silicon Valley 10%
> New York City (midtown south) 11%; Manhattan skyscrapers: 15%

Sandy Harris [mailto:sandy -at- storm -dot- ca] reported comparble data for Canada"

>A quick web search turns up Nov 2001 numbers.
>http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/News/nere/2001/2001-11-26-0815.cfm
>Ottawa among the lowest at 0.8%.

>More interesting, the highest number for a Canadian city is 5.8%,
>still way below the US numbers.
I think that Canadian banks have remained more conservative than those in
the U.S., and have been much less inclined to finance rampant overbuilding
of office buildings and apartment buildings during good times than the U.S.
banks. The real estate market in Canada probably remains tighter without the
extreme boom & bust swings typical in the U.S. [JMHO]

Margaret Cekis
Margaret -at- mediaocean -dot- com