RE: How is the job market in your area?

Subject: RE: How is the job market in your area?
From: "Sella Rush" <srush -at- MusicNet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:13:22 -0800

> I can't help thinking
> that the problem is often not so much a lack of work as a lack of
> imagination.

And then there's me, who got a fantastic job she found in the local want-ads. The company also advertised on hotjobs.com, but I found it in the Seattle PI's online classifieds.

I agree with Bruce, however. In my recent search, I started out by scanning some job sites (monster.com, flipdog, guru.com, seattle.techies.com, techwr-l, Puget Sound STC, nwsource.com classifieds, and the unemployment site Worksource Washington). But that was just the beginning. I remembered Bruce talking last year about his database of businesses and contacts in Vancouver, and started compiling one myself.

I'd spent the first 2 months refining my resume, assembling my portfolio, and figuring out what kind of job I was looking for. I answered lots of job ads and got very little response until after Christmas. I was also assembling my own database, figuring I'd start "cold-calling" after the holidays.

BTW--probably the most effective thing I did was to post my resume on Monster. I got contacted for several jobs that never got posted anywhere, including two interviews and one job offer.
Sella Rush
technical writer
MusicNet
206-269-6115