RE: Grim numbers, just grim

Subject: RE: Grim numbers, just grim
From: "Sella Rush" <srush -at- MusicNet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:06:24 -0800

Speaking as an experienced Monster board reader, I'm pretty sure the original job ad was from a contracting agency (W-2).

For W-2 contracting (through an agency), I'd look for about 50% more per hour than a captive job with benefits. (This is based on the common estimate that benefits constitute about one-third of an entire compensation package.)

What this means: if I'm looking for $60K for a captive job, I'd be looking at about $44/hour. On the other hand, lots of agencies provide some basic benes, such as medical/dental, holiday, etc., depending on the length of the contract, so all this needs to be weighed in.

In my opinion, a $35/hour job would translate to about $48,500, which is pretty low but certainly not unlivable.

Sella Rush
technical writer
srush -at- musicnet -dot- com