Re: What is our art?

Subject: Re: What is our art?
From: "Michael Feimster" <feim68 -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:16:22 -0500

>>The STC or some other org, I don't care, could be like the old waitress
agency/unions.

Hopefully not the STC, I'd have to cancel my membership.

>>But, there were downsides because going it alone doesn't protect you
from the vagaries of the market (the paddle of market discipline).

In a capitalist society, the vagaries of the marget are what keep businesses
healthy. It's not always fairm, and can be cruel, but....

>>Someone chastized others for taking jobs at low wages. Hardly
productive, but inevitable because the process encourages us to blame one
another for something that isn't entirely in or control, not as individuals
at any rate.

If it comes down to taking a job at a low rate, or being unemployed, I'll
take the job. Sorry.

>>Instead of some agency making a profit, other techwriters would operate
and
maintain the union.

Who is going to pay these technical writers and where are they going to get
the skills they need to run a union?

I wish I could remember who wrote this, but all I can remember is that she
was a former union head who wrote this in a My Turn column in Newsweek in
the mid-90s:

"Unions are purveyors of mediocrity."

Mike Feimster