RE: What is our art?

Subject: RE: What is our art?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:59:39 -0000

Mike Feimster wrote:
>I wish I could remember who wrote this, but all I can remember is that she
>was a former union head who wrote this in a My Turn column in Newsweek in
>the mid-90s:
> "Unions are purveyors of mediocrity."

Yes, but that's just silly, isn't it? Unions exist to protect the needs of
the workforce against the needs of the shareholders. The shareholders are as
likely to be purveyors of mediocrity as the workforce is. Remember (she says
to the Brits in the mailing list) back in the days when British Rail had a
strongly unionised workforce: compare and contrast to the present days when
the needs of the shareholders outweigh the needs of either the workforce or
the passengers.

Jane Carnall
union member
daughter of a union member
granddaughter of a union member
great-granddaughter of a union member
and not one of us is or was "mediocre". <g>

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.