Unions in the UK

Subject: Unions in the UK
From: Rev Simon Rumble <simon -at- rumble -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:52:11 +0000

My last post brought on a strange volume of anti-union sentiment, when
it seemed to me it had nothing to do with unions. Union-bashers, stop
reading now there's nothing of interest to you here.

Here in the UK I'm a member of Connect, the union for people in the
"communications" industry. This is the union recommended by the
Trades Union Congress (TUC) but I'm beginning to think they're not
really covering me. I have nothing against them, they've been helpful
in my time as a member but they seem more focussed on helping BT
employees.

So I'm union shopping. Does anyone have any advice or experience to
share?

My options seem to be either industry sector (media for me) or
profession-based.

www.bectu.org.uk
For industry that means Broadcasting Entertainment Cinematograph and
Theatre Union but I work for a software company whose clients are in
this business. Not really appropriate.

www.writersguild.org.uk
For profession it would be the Writer's Guild but they seem to cover
just about every type of writer except technical. What's more, they
charge 1% of gross income on top of their annual fee which for a
full-time writer comes out to a pretty high union fee.

Is anyone a member of these unions or another union that fits well
with the tech writer profession?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon -at- rumble -dot- net>
www.rumble.net

The problem with political jokes is they get elected.
- Henry Cate