Help: Is Spanish techwr a good idea?

Subject: Help: Is Spanish techwr a good idea?
From: csg -at- telecable -dot- es
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 2:48:56

<New to the list> I am a native Spanish translator/localizator just
suffering the *trashing* of the translation market. I am searching for new
opportunities since the paying rates are reaching floor levels (about 5
cents/word or $13-16/hour) especially in Europe. I hold a B.S. in
Information Systems (USA) and I pretty much "know" RoboHelp, Acrobat,
Trados, Dreamweaver, etc. I am planning to relocate to Miami, FL, and get
into tech-writing. I was even thinking of starting up a small tech-writing
biz. Yet, I have "this big doubt": Is there a market for Spanish Technical
writing in the US? How should I start in this market? Or Should I offer
translation services for tech-writers instead of becoming a Spanish
tech-writer?

By the way: How are current market conditions in Miami?

I would appreciate any suggestions, tips, info, or references that can
clarify my mind.

Undecided

Carlos S. Gil
Spain