RE: Documenting visible/invisible fields?

Subject: RE: Documenting visible/invisible fields?
From: "Hart, Rowena" <Hart -at- SelkirkFinancial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:47:29 -0800

Hello all,

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my first message.
This is just a reference manual -- there
are no procedures, just table after table
of field descriptions and technical
background info.

I guess I'm trying to get suggestions
about the best way to present the fields
to users, based on the user's own experience
with the fields.

For example, would you just list all of
the fields in alphabetical order? Would
you include a note along the lines of "This
field is only visible if you select Deal A"?
Or would you say "The following fields are
displayed if you select Deal A:" and then
list the fields?

I was trying to think of it from a user's
perspective. You want help on Deal A so
you go to the reference manual. Would you
be dumbfounded to see lists of fields that
don't apply to Deal A? Or by a note that says
"This field is displayed for Deal A, C, and
F"?

It's all about how the user searches for
information in a reference manual. Hopefully
someone out there has hit this wall before
and can share some their experiences.

Rowena