RE: Documenting visible/invisible fields?

Subject: RE: Documenting visible/invisible fields?
From: "Justin Cascio" <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:25:10 -0500

> Hello all,
> I'm trying to think of a good way to
> document fields that are visible or
> invisible, depending on the options
> the user selects.

I'd do it like this:

1. If you want to do X, select Deal A from the drop down list. The following
options appear:

[screen shot of portion of dialog box depicting new options, with enough of
the rest of the dialog box to give context]

2. give directions on using the options

3. If you want to do Y... (lather, rinse, repeat)

If the steps taken with the new options are lengthy, I might do it like

1. To do X, skip to the section below entitled "Doing X." To do Y, skip to
the section below entitled "Doing Y."

Then I'd put those steps I showed you above in those sections.

Do You Yahoo!?

Get your free address at

See and check it out.

Documenting visible/invisible fields?: From: Hart, Rowena