RE: Documenting visible/invisible fields?

Subject: RE: Documenting visible/invisible fields?
From: "Justin Cascio" <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:25:10 -0500

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to think of a good way to
> document fields that are visible or
> invisible, depending on the options
> the user selects.

I'd do it like this:

1. If you want to do X, select Deal A from the drop down list. The following
options appear:

[screen shot of portion of dialog box depicting new options, with enough of
the rest of the dialog box to give context]

2. give directions on using the options

3. If you want to do Y... (lather, rinse, repeat)

If the steps taken with the new options are lengthy, I might do it like
this:

1. To do X, skip to the section below entitled "Doing X." To do Y, skip to
the section below entitled "Doing Y."

Then I'd put those steps I showed you above in those sections.

Justin