You da monster

Subject: You da monster
From: David Mandrake <mandrake -at- dmv -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:43:40 GMT

I'm not sure if it's a promising upturn or a fluke, but today I've been
contacted twice by recruiters looking in the D.C. area who found me through
monster.com. [I am not immediately in the D.C. area, but they see "Maryland"
and make certain assumptions.]

One thing that may have helped is a trick recommended to me by a recruiter back
in Seattle: to "touch" your resume on monster.com once a day, save it and
activate it, so that it always appears "fresh".

I usually do this just with the title. Searching for something new every day,
I've even been a little frivolous at times, mentioning my tech writing tribal
name of "Speaks-with-Engineers".

Can anyone recommend this trick, or know if it has a point of diminishing
returns--that is, does one's name pop up every day and recruiters come to think
of you as the goof who continually updates his resume?

Abrupt topic switch: thinking of a .sig. Back on the other coast, I told a
fellow contractor, "If you make something foolproof, somebody'll come along and
build a better fool." Was I quoting someone, or did I have a flash of
originality?

Dave

This message was sent using Delmarva Online's Webmail.
http://www.dmv.com/