Re: Benefits of FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Benefits of FrameMaker
From: Fred Sampson <wfreds -at- cruzio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:57:26 -0800

One reason I've run into that QA likes Word is that they can not only read your files, they can "correct" them. I had a QA engineer ask to have my files in Word, so that she could just go in and "fix" what was wrong. I'm not talking about placing comments or using change tracking--she wanted to go in and edit the files with no further review. Well, we wrote in FrameMaker, and supplied PDFs to reviewers, which squashed that idea pretty quickly. Of course, you can use collaborative techniques on PDFs, but we didn't go down that road.

Oh, and this was the same QA engineer who insisted on rewriting my carefully-worded active voice sentences into carefully-worded passive voice.

Fred

At 12:25 PM 2/22/2002, you wrote:

> Why does QA think Word is any better? What benefit do they say that Word
> would provide?

I don't know. It is a little bizarre to me that QA is telling documentation what to use to develop the docs. I (sorta) understand their need to be involved with our template decisions (i.e. final look of the document). But when they provide us a Word document that doesn't even use any type of Style tag, their font is Arial Narrow (10pt), and their margins are all messed up...it baffles my mind...

Serenity now!

> I can think of one why they might want you to go to Word.
> Easier to collaborate with non-TW's

Yes. This is one reason that I agree with.

Fred Sampson
Technical Writer
fred -at- fredsampson -dot- com
831-728-1339