HOW TOs?

Subject: HOW TOs?
From: "Radwa Darwish" <radwa -dot- darwish -at- microtech -dot- com -dot- eg>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:55:46 +0200

Dear all,

I am on my first documentation project, and I have no solid technical
writing background. In my process of documenting a General Ledger software,
I had in mind the following:
- Start with general features.
- Go through the definitions and tasks windows by giving a simple background
and then a "How to..?" approach to explain the usage of each field.
- Add a reference part to list all icons, buttons, glossary, error and
warning messages and so forth.

The thing is that my boss, who is the software development manager, doesn't
like the "How to...?" approach and wants me to replace it with a listing of
each field, edit box or grid and a brief on its usage. I am not quite sure
that this way will be effective enough and I need your help....Any
suggestions any innovative techniques or any standardized documentation
process to adhere to.

Thanks in anticipation,