Re: HOW TOs?

Subject: Re: HOW TOs?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 04:37:14 -0800 (PST)

--- Radwa Darwish <radwa -dot- darwish -at- microtech -dot- com -dot- eg> wrote:
> The thing is that my boss, who is the software development manager, doesn't
> like the "How to...?" approach and wants me to replace it with a listing of
> each field, edit box or grid and a brief on its usage. I am not quite sure
> that this way will be effective enough and I need your help....Any
> suggestions any innovative techniques or any standardized documentation
> process to adhere to.

Pardon me for putting this bluntly, but I suspect your boss also knows that you
have limited technical writing knowledge. Here's the blunt part: Do what your
boss wants. What I think is right, what I know of "innovative techniques or any
standardized documentation process" are irrelevant. Someone on the list
mentioned "The Golden Rule" on a different thread. This is a classic case.

If your boss were open to negotiation on these issues, I doubt you would be
turning to this list. No doubt any of a dozen people will suggest (in addition
to the fact that I'm a heartless no-good) different strategies for doing the
documentation and different strategies for negotiating with your boss. MY
suspicion is that your boss will most appreciate your doing well what the boss wants.

Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page -
Page Last Updated 02/27/02
{Your pithy comment here. Contact me to find out how <g>}

Do You Yahoo!?

Office or RoboHelp Enterprise. Hurry, this offer expires February 28, 2002.

HOW TOs?: From: Radwa Darwish