Re: HOW TOs?

Subject: Re: HOW TOs?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 04:37:14 -0800 (PST)

--- Radwa Darwish <radwa -dot- darwish -at- microtech -dot- com -dot- eg> wrote:
[SNIP]
> The thing is that my boss, who is the software development manager, doesn't
> like the "How to...?" approach and wants me to replace it with a listing of
> each field, edit box or grid and a brief on its usage. I am not quite sure
> that this way will be effective enough and I need your help....Any
> suggestions any innovative techniques or any standardized documentation
> process to adhere to.

Pardon me for putting this bluntly, but I suspect your boss also knows that you
have limited technical writing knowledge. Here's the blunt part: Do what your
boss wants. What I think is right, what I know of "innovative techniques or any
standardized documentation process" are irrelevant. Someone on the list
mentioned "The Golden Rule" on a different thread. This is a classic case.

If your boss were open to negotiation on these issues, I doubt you would be
turning to this list. No doubt any of a dozen people will suggest (in addition
to the fact that I'm a heartless no-good) different strategies for doing the
documentation and different strategies for negotiating with your boss. MY
suspicion is that your boss will most appreciate your doing well what the boss wants.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 02/27/02
{Your pithy comment here. Contact me to find out how <g>}

http://greetings.yahoo.com