Re: Netscape 6x

Subject: Re: Netscape 6x
From: rudman -at- netscape -dot- com (Steve Rudman)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:45:31 -0800

Shirley et al.,

I'm obviously biased---I manage the client documentation group at Netscape. But I can testify that there are no conflicts with Netscape 6.2.1 and any of the tools we use, which are many. And we use Netscape on various Windows systems, Macs, and Linux. We don't use RoboHelp, though.

Every review I've read of NS 6.2 has been very favorable. See, among others, the techtv review at
http://www.techtv.com/products/print/0,23102,3358679,00.html .

A quote from the review: "[U]ltimately we choose Netscape as our top pick for browser... With Navigator's improved stability, extended email support, and high usability, the old champ is back, and might still have what it takes to give Internet Explorer a run for its money."

The latest version of Communicator is 4.79, incidentally.

Download Netscape 6.2 and try it out...or order the CD and the end-user's guide (which my group produced!). See http://home.netscape.com/computing/download/index.html

If you (or others on the list) experience incompatibilities with any software you're using, please let me know.

Best regards,
Steve

Shirley A. Parker wrote:

Hi All,

Please excuse me if this question was answered months ago. I got lost in
the techwr-l archives and probably didn't figure out the exact keywords
to use after half a dozen searches.

When Netscape 6 was first released, I was advised not to upgrade to it
because of some kind of conflicts with the tools tech writers often use,
or that it could never be uninstalled, something weird. Now I can't
remember what the caution flag was for. I thought perhaps it was
RoboHELP but eHelp assures me that 9.1 works very well with Netscape 6x.
Can anyone out there remember why I should stick with Netscape 4.78?
(SBC PacBell (ISP) doesn't support anything past 4.72, unless they've
suddenly changed their attitude on their convoluted site.)

Thanks for any clues.

--
Shirley Ann Parker
www.shirleyannparker.com