re: on technical writing

Subject: re: on technical writing
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:09:59 -0800 (PST)

John Posada asked:
>Do you think that how a sitcom portrays ours (or any) profession is
>really going to matter?

Yes. Especially when no one really knows about the profession and their only exposure to it is mass media portrayls. I already get comments like, oh, you studied anthropology, like Indiana Jones? (Which is an erroneous comparison because archeaology is one of several subfields of anthropology. Nevermind the fact that archeaologists don't do the things Indiana does.) I can easily see a stituation in which I tell someone I'm a technical writer and the person's responce is "Oh, like the Andy show." That kind of reaction can either be good or bad, depending on the way the show presents the type of people who work in the profession. It's already tapping into the stereotype of technical writing who wants to be an author (which we've been discussing on this list).

OTOH, my commments were supposed to be tongue-and-cheek.

Sean Hower

technical writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
>> This will either be good or bad for our profession, depending on
>> how the ratings pan out. :)
>
>Do you think that how a sitcom portrays ours (or any) profession is
>really going to matter?
>
>=====
>John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
>Current gig ending 4/15
>Resume: http://www.tdandw.com/Resume_Posada_022202.doc
>mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com, 732-259-2874

>Yahoo! Sports - live college hoops coverage
>http://sports.yahoo.com/

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Run a small business? Then you need professional email like you -at- yourbiz -dot- com from Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net?tag

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr