Re: Microsoft Online Help: Collapsible Links

Subject: Re: Microsoft Online Help: Collapsible Links
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:42:24 -0000

As I recall, it's called "expanding text", a standard Dynamic HTML feature
in HTML Help, available through RoboHelp without coding - you just select
the text and choose the effect from a menu.


"Cedric Simard" <cedricns -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote in message
news:146399 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> Hi all,
> If any of you works at Microsoft, this mail is for you! If any of you are
> developping online help at MS, this mail is even more for you.
> In some Microsoft online helps, you can find what I will call "collapsible
> links", that is, links that make appear text that was not displayed before
> you clicked them. The text is displayed in the same Window/panel the link
> in, generally just below the link.
> This help feature is extensively used in Windows and Office XP online
> Here are my two questions about it:
> Is there an official MS term to refer to what I call "collapsible links"?
> How are these collapsible links created?
> - They seem to be produced using simple javasript (In the code, you can
> the following: onclick="doSection(Expand1, button1)" ).
> Am I right? I have to tell I'm not a javascript expert.
> So... Is there ONLY ONE javascript function that is called each time this
> feature needs to be used in a help topic? I guess yes. In that case, where
> is it located, and above all: How do technical writers to implement it/use
> it at authoring time? Do they have to write the code corresponding to that
> function directly into the HTML source code (I guess no) or do they have a
> special option in their Doc Authoring Tool that just require them to do 2
> 3 clicks to create a "collapsible link"?
> By the way, does anybody knows what tool(s) MS techical writers do use to
> produce their online helps? Do they only use HTML Help workshop,
> Robohelp...? Talking about Robohelp: I've not used that tool for years. So
> may be "collipsable links" are just a basic option in the latest version o
> Robohelp...
> In that case, please accept apologies for my ignorance.
> Does this feature exist as a default option in any other Doc Authoring
> In any case, my question about javascript remains valid.
> CS
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at

PC Magazine gives RoboHelp Office 2002 five stars - a perfect score!
"The ultimate developer's tool for designing help systems. A product
no professional help designer should be without." Check out RoboHelp at

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: Re: Reference books you use the most
Next by Author: Re: Consequences of inadequate docs/training
Previous by Thread: Microsoft Online Help: Collapsible Links
Next by Thread: Re: tech writers in the public eye

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads