RE: Setting up a "Project" list

Subject: RE: Setting up a "Project" list
From: "Kevin Christy" <kevinchristy -at- socal -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 06:08:43 -0800

Nancy said:

>>My department announced yesterday that they have to make very major budget
cuts. Layoffs are on the horizon and I've been informed that my position may
be one of them.<<

What's the matter, hasn't management got the "the economy was never really
in recession" memo? About 25% of the room at the last local STC meeting I
went to was looking for work. I guess their former managers didn't get the
memo either.

Seriously, now is the time to sell *value*. First find out who your audience
is; do you need to sell yourself to your manager, who presumably knows what
you do already, or his/her manager, who may not. Find out who would be
giving you the axe, and if possible, how they are deciding who gets cut and
who stays.

For past projects, you sell how much time and money you saved the
organization. For current projects, you sell how confusing and difficult it
would be to let you go. For future projects, you sell how hard it will be to
find a replacement that does everything you do.

A strategy that worked for a friend of mine at Boeing was to make sure that
he got transfered to profitable, well-funded projects with solid incoming
orders. If there is such a project at your place, sell how valuable you are
to that project.

Good luck!

Kevin