Antwort: STC Conference Speakers

Subject: Antwort: STC Conference Speakers
From: Kerstin -dot- Molthagen -at- etas -dot- de
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:29:34 +0200

Hi!

Tom Johnson wrote:

>I'm curious. Do conference speakers in other professions get free
admission
>into conferences? Do doctors and engineers speak for the prestige of
>speaking, do they do it purely for the sake of spreading their gospel
among
>their peers? Is their some kind of intangible reward that comes from
giving
>a presentation. Is STC typical of other organizations when it comes to
>slightly discounting registration fees for speakers? [...]
During my time as astrophysicist, I have attended several conferences,
presenting either a short talk or a poster at most of them. Each time, I
had applied to make the presentation, and each time I had to pay the
conference fee. In some cases, membership in an astrophysical community
reduced the fee, but I did not came off without paying.
I did attend for the (quite large) benefit of meeting important people from
all over the world, and for the (lesser) benefit of my contribution
appearing in the printed conference minutes, thus lengthening my
publications list.
Ciao,
Kerstin

--
Dr. Kerstin Molthagen

ETAS GmbH, Borsigstraße 10, D 70469 Stuttgart
Tel.: +49 (711) 89661 - 405 Fax: +49 (711) 89661 - 108
mailto:kerstin -dot- molthagen -at- etas -dot- de http://www.etas.de