Re: UNIX and Windows documentation

Subject: Re: UNIX and Windows documentation
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 18:50:01 -0800

Ted Rainey wrote:

Flipping through useless pages of C:\ and pictures of those little yellow folders can be a nuisance (and sometimes insulting) to our UNIX brethren, not to mention the effect the intimidating, text-filled screens and violent command names inherent to UNIX have on the Windows user.

Others have suggested solutions such as conditional text, but it's really not that unusual for cross-platform documentation to standardize on one platform for graphics. It's usually a minor nuisance at best.

In this case, you could probably standardize on Windows for the graphics. Without actually knowing anything about the project, I'd say that you are likely safer asking the UNIX users to adjust than the Windows users. True, a few UNIX users might get miffed, but most of them could get along. However, if you standardized on UNIX, then the Windows-users aren't likely to be asadaptable, especially if the audience includes some novice users.

Or does that comment show my Linux/UNIX bias?

"I respect kindness to human beings first of all, and kindness to animals. I don't respect the law; I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
-Brendan Behan