Re: Internet Architecture Project - PLEASE HELP

Subject: Re: Internet Architecture Project - PLEASE HELP
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:18:50 -0600

>2. Scan your internal network range using a tool like SuperScan from
>Foundstone. That will determine what machines are there and what aren't.
It can
>also scan for open ports. If your company has any security on the network
>(which they probably don't) you'll set off the IDSs. But that will at
least
>show them that you know what you're doing (sort of).

Ummmm.....ask permission from someone up the ladder before doing this, as
I've known several folks who have been fired for doing this without warning
someone first. At least tell them that since there's not a good network
diagram in existence, you're going to have to do something like this in
order to create one. Antagonizing the SME's doesn't get you very far in
this case. Also, be prepared for 90% of the results of this to be useless
to you (90% of the machines will probably be DHCP clients, which means they
won't be found at those addresses consistently). Use the other 10% to
cross-check against the DNS material, to make sure you haven't missed
anything. Anything DHCP should be noted, but don't think too hard about
them; *everything* with a fixed address *has* to be documented, whether
it's in the DNS or not (especially if not).

Net security types get *really* hostile (think http://www.bofh.net/ --
language advisory is hereby given) when traffic like this hits their
precious servers; they'll swarm out like hornets looking for the poor slob
who just kicked their nest, and you'll want to have some shelter when they
do.

The other 7 points from Andrew are pretty good, though I'll never
understand his attachment to Visio. Any flowcharting tool will do; I used
MacFlow last time I did something like this.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224