RE: But seriously now folks ... (was HUMOR: STC Conference Time - )

Subject: RE: But seriously now folks ... (was HUMOR: STC Conference Time - )
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:49:58 -0500

>I can tell you that the costs associated with a conference are
>huge, and the upfront expenses - which you may or may not make back - are
>enormous.

Some day I'm going to have to sit down with conference people and find out
what those costs are. I organize chess tournaments, and I organized a major
international event a couple of years ago. The site was free (host hotel
gave me a credit for each room-night the tournament booked, which more than
paid for the site) and attendees were charged around $30 US on average, and
70% of the income was returned to attendees in the form of prizes. I
*really* don't understand where the conference money goes, if not to the
presenters. The event was covered live on the Internet, so the internet
connection, etc. was also part of the hotel's service.

A second event, which we ended up not doing for other reasons, was going to
reserve every square foot of exhibition space in the entire hotel (30,000+)
for four days and was *also* going to be supplied free of charge, in return
for the room rentals. I *really* don't understand where the conference
money goes, if not to the presenters.

It's not on-topic, so if anyone connected with one of those events would
care to send me one of their budgets off-list, my curiosity gland would
very much appreciate it.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224