Re: "check" the box (was RE: "Click on" or "click")

Subject: Re: "check" the box (was RE: "Click on" or "click")
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 17:09:09 +1000

Another alternative is "select" and "deselect" a checkbox, but I think "check" and "uncheck" are the best choices.

BTW, I say something like "make sure the foobar box is checked [or unchecked] before you..." instead of using the word "check" to mean "look at it to see if..." as in Drew's example.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/

Drew Adams wrote:

What about use of the verb "check" for placing a check in a check box? A
number of you have mentioned it, but I think it can be confusing, given the
other sense of "check", as in "check the box, to see if...".

This may sound silly, but I can imagine some users (especially those for
whom English isn't the first language) interpreting "check the Foobar box
before you..." as advice to verify its current state.

If you agree that "check" is not the best choice here, what alternatives do
you prefer? "fill"? "activate"?